16.3.11

Espresso Pound Cake with Cranberries

Yesterday, I decided to bake something, apart from the CQ, I wanted something that could combine with a glass of cold milk and also that could enhance the flavor of coffee... so I came across this recipe.
Let me tell you it was a huge success here at home, it lasted just one day, well actually 12 hours!
I used a mold that was donut-shaped, but as a result i came with a smaller pound cake, well it was not so tall because the recipe doesn't rise a lot.You can see in the pictures.
But here is the original recipe, I made some changes and the result was ---------->
so feel free to change everything you like! :D

This recipe comes from Bon appètit, March 2011.
By Lauren Chattman

Espresso Pound Cake with Cranberries and pecans

*For the cake

•1 cup + 6 tbsp unbleached all purpose flour
•2 tbsp cornstarch
•1 tsp ground cinnamon or 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
•3/4 tsp baking powder
•4 large eggs
•1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
•3/4 cup sugar
•1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
•1 tbsp instant espresso powder
•3/4 cup chopped toasted pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, or almonds
•3/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries or dried unsweetened cherries or blueberries

*For glaze

•1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, or almonds
•1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries or dried unsweetened cherries or blueberries
•2 tbsp espresso powder
•1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
•2 tbsp milk

-Preheat oven to 160°C or 325°F. Butter your loaf pan and dust it with flour.
-Mix flour, cornstarch, cinnamon (or cardamom), baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl blend eggs and vanilla. In another one, either using electric mixer or your good arm, beat butter, sugar, brown sugar, and espresso powder until fluffy. When it is ready, with mixer running, add egg mixture slowly. Then add flour mixture in 2 additions, beating on low speed just to blend after each addition.
-Beat batter 30 seconds on medium speed. add your pecans and cranberries; beat just to incorporate evenly. Transfer batter to pan.

add berries and nuts

transfer to pan


Out of pan
 Bake cake until top is golden and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes (the original recipe said 1 hour 10 minutes, but really? that´s a lot, and mie was ready by minute 50, so that´s my advice). Cool in pan in rack 5 minutes. Invert cake and remove from pan. Now turn your cake with top side up and let cool.
-While cooling make the glaze. Mix powdered sugar, milk and espresso powder in a medium bowl. Spread it over top of the cake, allow some to drip down the sides. Sprinkle nuts and berries over. Let stand until glaze sets, like 20 minutes.

I know it sound like a time consuming recipe, well, maybe it is, but it's totally worth it! Believe me!
This time I didn't use the glaze because at home, not everyone loves high doses of sugar (I do), so I kept it simple. Here the final product, an inside peek. Très beau!
Next time I'll use another type of mold for my pound cake.
As I told you before, feel free to try new thing, take whatever you want, and add other stuff, if you do, tell me how it all went!

PD.  I've been trying to add as much photos as I can, for you to see how it will look through the process and in the end. And also for showing you my food photography skills (I'm working on them). I hope you like them! :D

Happy baking to you all!

Cranberry hugs and espresso kisses♥
V

No comments:

Post a Comment